Friday, May 13, 2005

A Tale of Two Banks

Recently, I got a new bank account with Washington Mutual. I have had one with Wells Fargo for ages now, but have come to realize that unless you have 50 million dollars in a corporate account with them, you don't mean jack shit to them and they treat you like it. Washington Mutual, on the other hand, has been treating me almost like I'm somebody famous from the moment I stepped into one of their branches. When you see one of the desk bankers at Wells Fargo, you sign in on a clipboard at the receptionist's desk (where there is never a receptionist, and if there is one, she's too busy to look at you), then wait forever to see an arrogant bozo who seems to have wished for a big prick and became one instead. At Washington Mutual, I was looking at the various pamphlets they had, when someone approached me and asked if I needed help with anything. I told them I was interested in getting a new account; the lady who greeted me invited me to have a seat and asked if I wanted a glass of water. In the more than ten years that I've had a Wells Fargo account, this has NEVER happened. WaMu has gone on to amaze me with nothing less than wonderful service.

Over the last two days, I have received a piece of correspondence from each bank. From Wells Fargo was an email saying that they would help reach my financial goals through sending advertisements to my email. Bullshit. If you haven't been able to help me at all yet, how are emails going to help at all? Then there was the piece from Washington Mutual... a hand-written thank you card, welcoming me to Washington Mutual, and saying that if I needed help with anything, to just call. Ladies and gentlemen, I was truly amazed by this. They totally didn't have to do that, but they did. I have a good feeling that I'll be quite pleased with Washington Mutual.