Monday, September 19, 2005

Chat Exchange of the Night

Just had to share it... it works as a capsule summary of why American culture is going to hell in a handbasket. We were discussing what we had done this weekend, and he told me he went for a drive down the Apache Trail from Roosevelt Lake into Phoenix. (Tip for non-native Arizonans: You want to take the Apache Trail from west to east. Vice versa is much more harrowing.) Anyway, a fair amount of that road is dirt. It's the kind of thing Miss Océane, my green Honda Element named after the water elemental in Cirque du Soleil's Dralion, lives for, twisty roads and great scenery everywhere. We had this exchange while chatting not just a couple of hours ago:

[him] "I should have kept driving on paved roads. My poor vehicle."
[me]"What do you drive?"
[him]"A Jeep."

Lordy, I wish I was shitting you on this one.